Patty GuillenHolistic Health Practicioner
After 10 years of service in the US Navy, Patty Guillen separated to pursue a degree in accounting and inadvertently discovered the mental and emotional benefits of yoga, as well as the physical and physiological benefits of massage therapy.
At the time, she was actively involved in the veteran community and wanted her fellow veterans to experience the benefits for themselves. As a result, she shifted career tracks and dove wholeheartedly into the “new” and unconventional profession of yoga therapy.
After two years of grad school, she earned her Master’s of Science in Yoga Therapy from Maryland University of Integrative Health; additionally, she completed a nine-month massage therapy program.
Now, she integrates both modalities as she encourages clients’ to notice their body-breath-mind connection, to practice self-care, self-compassion and gratitude.
Values & Passion
Patty is dedicated to continuous personal and professional growth, being of service to others and collaboration over competition. She acknowledges that she cannot give, what she does not have and therefore practices mindfulness, self-compassion, self-care and self-love, as a lifestyle and way of being.
She is passionate and enthusiastic about educating, empowering, guiding and supporting clients’, on their path towards improved health and well-being. Her mission is helping people re-connect to their wholeness, innate freedom and inner peace.
Populations with a special place in her heart include: veterans, older adults (seniors), caregivers and under-served communities.
Daughter of a Salvadoran mother and Mexican father, she was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. As a first generation US American, she was very aware of the privileges and opportunities she possessed but that others did not have (e.g. education, arts and travel).
As an introverted child, she enjoyed reflecting and contemplating, talking to the moon, and observing/learning from others’ experiences.
She is wholeheartedly grateful for her life experiences and attributes her ability to stay grounded and centered, to the connection and recognition of her and her families humble beginnings.
UNITED STATES SAILOR
In 2002, the desire for higher education and wanting to be part of something bigger than herself, led Patty to joining the US Navy. She served aboard the USS Nimitz and USS George Washington, as an aircraft, launch and recovery equipment operator and supervisor, aka a green shirt, aka grease monkey. Moreover, she also trained over 1,440 personnel on the highest level of Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) techniques and Code of Conduct training.
In 2012, after a decade of honorable service, she separated to pursue a much earned higher education.
UNCONVENTIONAL COLLEGE STUDENT
Following 4.5 years of “sea duty”, and after earning her Navy Instructor qualifications, she finally began taking (night) classes at the local community college. After 3.5 years of her instructor assignment, she continued taking college courses, while back on “sea duty”, onboard the USS George Washington.
After separating from the Navy, she immediately enrolled herself as a full-time student. In all, after eleven years of continued dedication and perseverance, Patty has completed her personal goal of attaining a college degree (or two).
NAVIGATING MY OWN SHIP
With the culmination of all her training and education, and with a myriad of life experiences, Patty feels confident, competent and grateful to operate her own business; to share, support and powerfully serve her community.
- Massage Therapy Diploma: Living Arts Institute
- Master’s of Science Yoga Therapy: Maryland University of Integrative Health
- Bachelor’s Business Administration Accounting: University of Houston- Downtown
- Associate’s Arts Social and Behavioral Science: San Diego City College
Licences & Certifications
- Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist: North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy. NC LMBT #17703
- Certified Yoga Therapist: The International Association of Yoga Therapists. C-IAYT #36505888
- Aqua Kriya Yoga Level 1: Aqua Kriya Yoga
- Integrative Restoration iRest ® Level 1 Yoga Nidra Training: Integrative Restoration Institute
- Integrative Yoga for Seniors Professional Training: Duke Integrative Medicine
- Relax and Renew Level 1 Training: Judith Hanson Lasater
- Yoga of 12-Step Recovery (Y12SR): Nikki Myers
- Mindful Resilience for Trauma Recovery Yoga Teacher Training Level 1: Veterans Yoga Project
- Mindful Yoga Therapy for Trauma: Mindful Yoga Therapy for Veterans
- Yoga Teacher Training: Yoga One Studios
Massage & Bodywork Trainings
- Thai Massage Weekend Immersion: Living Sabai
- Traditional Thai Foot Massage: Living Sabai
- Neuromuscular Treatment of Abdominals, Erectors, QL, and Iliopsoas: NC Massage School
- Thai Massage 3 Day Intensive: Living Sabai
Opportunities for Connection
Upcoming Series & Events
Yoga Therapy Day
August 14, 2019
May 18, 2019